Wednesday, November 14, 2007

In the blink of an eye...

Just the other day it hit me how fast my children are growing up. It started with a conversation between some friends about sleep habits. One of the gals was talking about how she loved to rock her three year old to sleep because that is the only real snuggle time she gets with him. Another, who has teens, said that she missed that age and how she wished she could rock her kids again. That started me thinking, it won't be long before I do not get to hold, snuggle, hug and kiss my children like I do now. I was holding Zander just eating him up, when it hit me that one day I won't be able to do this. One day he will be a young man embarrassed by his mom's kisses and not long after that he will be a man. Once he is a man I will only get the hello hug with a kiss on the cheek; no more snuggles! The same with Hannah, she is such a big girl already that I have started laying down with her for nap time. Just so I can smell her hair and snuggle close for that little bit of time. I mentioned this to hubby and he got nostalgic, saying that he too misses cuddling with Hannah. He said how much he enjoys it when she crawls up on his lap and reads a book or watches a movie with him. He too noted how it will not be long before she no longer wants to do these things. I remember the day she was born so vividly, how could three years have passed so quickly? It saddens me to realize how much I take for granted during my time with them. How often I shoo them away so that I can "get something done". Already they are so big, no longer babies but a toddler and preschooler. I know they are still so young, but before I know it they will be tweens, teens and young adults. So, for now I have decided to stop worrying so much about homework and keeping the house spotless and instead focus my attention on them. However, when I fail out of school and I cannot show my house because it looks like a tornado tore through it, at least I will know that this season too shall pass.

No comments: